Saturday, July 10, 2010

Goodbye Trinidad - Hello China + Happy Birthday

I was warned that road life could become hectic when you think you know what direction you are headed.  My current training assignment here in Trinidad is not quite finished yet but I received notification three days ago that I was assigned a billable assignment in China.  I figured I would finish this assignment first before shipping out to China....WRONG!  I am heading back to Chicago this morning - I leave for the airport in an hour.  I will take care of personal and work related items during the next six days in which I then fly to China on Saturday. 

I had plans to celebrate my birthday which happens to be next Saturday the 17th with everyone here in Trinidad - Trini style.  Another UOP crew member even has the exact same birthday - cool huh?!  So that is now not happening but...I received an email from my future crew members in China saying that on Saturday the 17th they will be getting together to celebrate my future chief's birthday, which happens to fall on the 17th as well.  Seriously now, think about these odds.  My first assignment and someone has the same birthday and now my second assignment all the way in China and someone there also has the same birthday...I still can't get my head wrapped around the idea but it's pretty cool anyhow!!  Sadly though I will be unable to make it to China for the Saturday event.  What will I be doing you ask?  Have you guessed yet?...I will fly out on my birthday.  I will be drink mimosa's as soon as I board!!!  Champagne is my drink of choice.

Since I went from having two possibilities of celebrating my birthday on the actual day either Trini or China style to being on a plane by myself, my Trinidad crew had a surprise.  Being that tonight was my last night I felt it only appropriate to have dinner at a Chinese restaurant, right?!  Upon arrival we sat down at the table and it took us a few minutes but noticed that there was a Happy Birthday sign with balloons above the end of the table.  Now I know what you are thinking, ah that is sweet - but that was just a coincidence and not the surprise.  I am not sure when Vinosh had time to ask the waiter but at the end of the meal the waiter brought over a slice of cheesecake with one candle.  The local saxophone player and singer sang Happy Birthday to me and then I made a wish :-)

L to R: Vinosh (Petrotrin), Ken, Jeremy, Me, Afshin, Kelly, Eric

Thanks for the wonderful birthday wishes and cheesecake!  I will miss you Trinidad...until next time!

1 comment:

Meg Lew said...

This is so nice! Happy Early Birthday! Have a safe trip to China and an awesome time with your new crew!