Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fete What,,?!?!

It's been a while since I have updated.  It has been busy at work therefore nothing has really happened all too exciting to share.  Although tonight....

Tonight I went to an all inclusive fete.  A fete is pretty much a concert with a variety of performers.  All Trinidad music sounds the same to me so it did not matter who was playing.  It lasted from 4pm to midnight.  All inclusive means that the drinks and food are included for the entire 8 hours.  Unfortunately my camera died, I forgot to charge it, and my friend forgot his...therefore no pictures.  I will attend another so stay tuned.  Thus, imagine an outdoor courtyard filled with tents and a stage.  Several tents have food and there is a bar on every corner as well as in the middle serving top shelf liqour.  Several other stands are on the perimeter with specialty drinks such as cocktails made with Absolute Vodka, Baileys, Jose Cuervo shots table, etc. 

The style of dancing that takes place in Trinidad is called Wineing (not sure if I spelled that correctly); it is similar to griniding in the US but classier!  There are no strings attached meaning it's just a dance and not to be offended if someone starts to dance with you - unlike the US where you know the guy up on you wants some!  I danced with the group I came with so it was nice to have familar faces to wine with :-)  Many commented that I am the first White girl that can dance Trinidad style.  I proved White girls can dance!!

On that note my ears are still ringing from the loud awesomeness and I am feeling the 8 hour dance party.  Worn out but totally worth it!  Can not wait until the next one and I promise pictures!!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Sounds like so much fun! It's exciting you're experiencing a new culture. You should start a journal to look back on years from now...oh, wait, this blog could be your journal. Glad you're having fun.