Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas In Trinidad

Christmas 2009 was the first Christmas I have been away from the ones I love.  Luckily technological advancement has made it possible to keep in touch and make it feel as though you are there!  Today I finally was able to pick up the package my parents sent me with gifts and they were able to witness via Skype.  They gave me practically all food...half healthy snacks and half chocolate.  I keep telling them I am working out and trying to eat right yet they send me mounds of chocolate.  It's not easy only having a little at a time to a sugar queen such as myself.  I think my crew will be getting some chocolatey treats this week :-) 

On Christmas Day I was able to hang out with my friend and co-worker Fanon and his family in Trinidad.  He was visiting for the week from Chicago and showed me around.  I was able to try some traditional Trinidad food which was amazing!  My favorite thing was this juice concoction called Sorrel ("Saw-rel") which is made from a flower (shown below).

This juice is seasonal around the Holidays and everyone makes it just a little bit different.


 Fanon's cousins, Aunt, Uncle, Dad and Grandma and me.  They were very hospitable and made me feel very welcome on Christmas.  Thank you!

More crew members arrived in Trinidad the week of Christmas so we decided to go back to Maracas Beach because they HAD to have the Bake and Shark; plus I wanted to have it again as well!!!!

Looks like an ordinary fish sandwich but close your eyes and take a bite - a whole different taste!

Now let's see what New Year's brings - I am sensing hours of work at the refinery :-) 

Merry Christmas everyone and a Wonderful New Year!!!

2 comments:

foto4lizzie said...

I'm glad you got to spend the holidays with Fannon!

Billie said...

Love being able to skype with you. Very happy you spent Christmas with Fanon and his family. Hugs & kisses, MOM